News: Be sure and check out our Featured Articles below

• October 20, 2018, 05:27:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Build a half hull kit  (Read 8016 times)

• webmaster
  • Administrator
Build a half hull kit
« on: June 22, 2007, 07:21:31 AM »
Want to build a half hull, but don't know haw to start. Why not try a kit to get you started
  [

In response to many requests, BlueJacket Shipcrafters  has created a kit for the modeler wishing to build a half hull model using the traditional "lift" method. We have chosen ENDEAVOUR, one of the most graceful hulls ever built, as our subject. The kit contains pre-cut lifts (in alter-nating layers of basswood and mahogany), a chamfered solid cherry backboard (6" x 23"), brass nameplate, plans, and illustrated instruction booklet. The modeler learns to glue the lifts, carve and sand them to conform to the true hull shape, finish the model and backboard, and assemble the completed model. ENDEAVOUR can be varnished, showing the decorative alternating basswood and mahogany layers, or painted as on the original
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 01:02:33 PM by magus »
And remember to post - it's your community! You don't have to be an expert to offer a comment. :)

Halfpint

Re: Build a half hull kit
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 05:01:48 AM »
 :) This kit was my first half-model, and it turned out surprisingly well. It wasn't perfect enough to varnish, so I painted it. If I had known how hard it is to find .5" x 3" x 24 boards, I would have done it totally in basswood [buying extra pieces on line], and saved the mahogany for when I was able to carve a half-hull and varnish it. Since the kit, I built another Endeavor [save the instructions and the cutouts], then bought some plans from the Wooden Boat Store. I particularly like the Friendship Sloop, and have made several of them for family and friends at work.