News: Be sure and check out our Featured Articles below

• December 17, 2017, 05:45:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hello! .Introduction. Hope this forum gets moving!!  (Read 5370 times)

Hello! .Introduction. Hope this forum gets moving!!
« on: April 03, 2007, 03:31:48 AM »
Hello,  fist post wow.

I'll be 22 in june and have been making half models for almost a year using the lift method.  I will be attending the Internation Yacht Resteration School this september, in Newport RI.  There i will learn the history of building wooden boats to drafting... all the way to building my very own beetle and sailing it at the end of the first year.

I was taught how to make half models by my grandfather who has 60+ years experience making them. (he is 95 and still making them).  There is no doubt in my mind he has made more models than any one person ever.  Last count was about 900 individual models, all hand crafted by him over the years. almost every wall in his house is covered and even all of the rafters in his basment. Anyways i feel i owed him that introduction after all the time he has spent with me, and teaching me the basics and them some of how to create a half model.

I have only made 4 models this far, but i am getting better and more efficent everytime, and i am hoping to pickup tips and tricks from other peoples methods.  I really do not have the right tools to do a perfect job, but i get by with what ive got around.  I cant wait to get a real set of chisels etc.

Anyways heres the latest model ive 'finished'.  Its a beetle i decided to make in preperation for school in the fall.  I figured i couldnt hurt to try and get familiar with its lines.  I pulled the plan out of a old wooden boat magizine i found laying around and tried my best to scale it up.  It is by no means perfect or really accurate, but you definitly know its a beetle boat and altho its not really right, i am very happy with the way it came out.  Since no one has posted I don tknow what this group of guys is like. I dont know of you guys hord your plans or share them openly but im going to start and im going to share my very inaccurate drawing lol. I actaully freehand drew the widtch of some of the lifts... but ....this is a hobby its supposed to be fun so to hell with it :-)

While im posting pics ive got one of my other models here its a ensign. My family had one a few years back.

sorry for the blurry pics.

lets get this forum moving!!  I'm already tired of talking to myself!!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 07:35:01 AM by derbusa »
Novice Half model maker :-)

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 07:51:34 AM »
Heres a in progress shot of the beetle cat i dug up.

Next im going to be making some kind of lobster boat.  getting a little tired of making sailboats so i figured i would change it up a bit.

Heres a picture of the wall in my computer room. sorry its not clearer... but you get the idea haha

I make most of my models durning the winter so gimme some time on the lobster boat.  Ive been chasing the bass around with every spare minute i have latly,  pics to come of them too once i catch a good one hhaha.
Novice Half model maker :-)

• Founder - Maritime Arts and Research
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 08:11:47 AM »
Hello Woody.

Great first post! I appreciate your enthusiasm. You certainly are fortunate to have the guidance of your Grandfather. You will do well.

You certainly have the right approach with your Beetle Whale Boat. Build a Half Hull to get a feel for it's lines and then grow your creation to its reality.

The International Yacht Restoration School is exceptional and I know of it well. Attention to detail and quality are utmost in their curriculum. And yes, you graduate with a creation you can perform with Best of luck to you this Fall. here is a link to their website: http://www.iyrs.org/

Again, I like your enthusiasm and the relationship you have with your Grandfather in carrying on a family tradition.

We look forward to your posting future projects here. :)
Good to have you aboard.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 02:26:02 PM by magus »

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 09:20:06 AM »
Looks like I found a place to talk to other half modelers.  I specialize in America's Cup boats and am now doing J class boats.  I have a series of the 12 meter boats.  My latest was the new Endeavour which I did from a set of plans I brought in Europe.
Derbusa